Meiosis: formation of haploid gametic cells.
- Cells have half the DNA, so when combined with another cell in fertilization there’s the normal number of chromosomes.
- Similar to mitosis, twice, with any DNA replication the first time.
- Crossing over of chromosomes mixes them to create genetic diversity.
Can turn into any other cell.
- Mutations during cell division are seen in the organism itself.
- Mutations during meiosis are express in its children.
Aa has an advantage over
aa (example: immunity against malaria / sickle cell).