The Philosopher’s Stone
“Proof by contradiction”: this shows how bad a non-enlightenment leader can be.
- Mark doesn’t want to work for power.
- He’s after wealth (via the philosopher’s stone), not knowledge.
- The philosopher’s stone is an end goal, not a process, like the enlightenment.
The Fairy Tale
Written during the Enlightenment, at a time when France was invading Germany.
- People need to be educated on how to live in an enlightened society.
- Art is useful! The distance of allegory makes people detatched enough to talk about it without being personally attached.
- Rhein river is the demarkation between France and Germany.
- The text doesn’t tell us what to do, it’s a weird and hard-to-decipher story that makes you think/discuss with people?