- Some people were pushing back on the Enlightenment.
- People didn’t like the wildness: cutting off heads, invading Germany.
- The Romantics thought the Enlightenment was dumb
- 1790s - 1830s
- But the Enlightenment was definitely winning
- “weltschmerz”: things feel weird now, the old days were slower and simpler
- Tales have no pretty bowtie, the reader and author just ends with a feeling of confusion
- For Romantics, Black Forest (and forests in general) are places “untouched” by society
- A more connected and centered connection with the world
- Away from society’s pressures
Eckbert the Blonde