- Too much imagination, too much magic, in romanticism.
- Middle or lower class people.
- No idealization of them, but poetic.
- No strong moralizing.
- “Hold a mirror up to society.”
- Realist literature is trying to say something about society.
A Modern Fairy Tale
- “Sunday’s child” = an unlucky child
Spiegal the Cat
- This is a story about a talking cat and witches/wizards, but there’s still realist themes.
- How might a fairy tale be able to talk about society without directly moralizing about it?