- Asked: Why do people do what they do?
- Essentially a literary critic posing as a psychologist.
- Oedipus Complex
- Children with a penis want their mother’s attention, but their father stands in the way.
- Electra Complex is similar to the Oedipus Complex but for children with a vagina.
- But moms are cool (feeds/cares for kids), so they can’t hate their mom as much
- Split the mother in two: the side that gives food and the side that gets in their way
The Uses of Enchantment (book by Bruno Bettelheim)
- Bettelheim argues fairy tales help children solve anxiety, Oedipal complex, sibling rivalry, etc
- Kids can live out these experiences in a fantasy world
- Friends with Freud, then super not friends with Freud
- Collective Unconscious
- We all have this same structure in our unconscious
- Archetypes (birth, death, marriage, great mother, devil, wild old man, wise old woman, trickster, hero, apocalypse) are passed down and we just know them
- This explains commonalities between stories in different cultures